Wednesday, August 21, 2024

A Visit to the Franciscan Secular Order

            Last Sunday, I was able to attend the Secular Franciscan monthly meeting. It is every 3rd Sunday of the month. Sr. Precy Cruz, SFO invited and welcomed me. I am not fully 100% made up that I will join their order. It is hard to forget my Carmelite family. I was an Order of the Discalced Carmelites aspirant before. I was accepted in the Carmelites convent in Gilmore, Quezon City. Every month I attended our meeting at Carmel House of Prayer in New Manila, Quezon City. Many years ago has passed and even if I did not become a religious nun, there is still an empty space in my heart, that I know only God can fill. Maybe, this is God put me. To be a mother and a wife. Still my desire to be closer with God and learn more of him did not die. 


I sat with the Secular Franciscans. The meeting was held at the Multi-Purpose Hall of St. Francis Parish Church in Meycauayan, Bulacan. It is considered one of the oldest church if I'm not mistaken. After praying the Franciscan rosary (this is different with the regular rosary that we are familiar with), bible readings, they also shared personal stories, a lot of the members were flooded, most of the members houses and things were submerged in floodwaters. They were all teary eyed and a few cried recounting their stories. 

Most of the members were in their senior already. Only three of us were the young ones in the group. I don't want to join this order half-heartedly. I just felt that I don't belong in their community. 

There are many Franciscans well-loved saints by everyone, I like St. Anthony of Padua who is a Franciscan is one of my favorite saint, I have a 3rd class relic of his, piece of cloth that touched his tongue. As an observer in this community I thank the Lord for the opportunity to experience being with another spiritual family. Still, I pray that I might go back to Carmel. 

No comments: