Friday, July 24, 2026

My Journey From Darkness to the Light of Christ


Today was a very fruitful day. I was able to fix my cabinet. My cabinet, which is full of my religious books, was in a bit of disarray because I had simply shoved all the books inside. Now, I have somehow arranged the books neatly. They are not really categorized, but at least they are sitting neatly inside my cabinet now.

As I have mentioned, I have studied spiritual warfare for quite a while now, particularly in my later adult years. My spiritual life has had its ups and downs. Some of you might think that I have a very strong religious foundation, but that is not the case. There are even priests and religious who have left the Roman Catholic Church and never returned.

I thank God for opening my eyes and allowing me to experience what it was like outside of the Catholic Church. I have seen different beliefs and practices and have come to understand that many things have their roots in the Roman Catholic Church, including the Eastern Catholic Churches.

As I have mentioned before, I was once swayed and went toward the dark and occult side. I watched those teenage American witchcraft series that carried messages about believing in yourself, having powers within you, and being one with nature. Back then, as a teenager, I had many insecurities, along with the pressure to excel in my studies—particularly in Math, which was my weakness and remains my least favorite subject until now. I am still not very fond of it.

I was influenced by a schoolmate of mine. She was younger than me, and mind you, I was studying in a Catholic school. At that time, the high school was an exclusive school for girls. I was educated in one of the institutions run by the Daughters of Charity and Vincentian priests.

That is why the Miraculous Medal is also very close to my heart. My family and I are enrolled as members for life.

My teenage life was quite rough. That was when my favorite shirt was black, and I listened to rock music—sometimes even heavy metal. Then I became involved in the occult, chanting from The Book of the Dead, reading, and becoming hooked on vampire stories. The occult was difficult to remove from my system. I confessed about it many times, but it kept coming back—even in my late 30s.


I also watched the popular Harry Potter movies. I truly believe that this is not a good thing, even though many parents believe it is harmless. To me, it is witchcraft disguised and presented in a harmless way.

In the Holy Bible, our Lord God strongly condemns fortune-telling, sorcery, and witchcraft, calling them an abomination. These practices lead a person to place their trust in another power rather than trusting God alone.

To cut the story short, I flunked my Math subject instead of passing it. Yet God has always been very good to me. Before, I was heartbroken because I had failed. But now, looking back, I realize that if I had passed, I might still have been lost and living a wayward life. The schoolmate who influenced me eventually dropped out of school.

I came to know the St. Benedict Medal when I was a child. I thank my late aunt, whom I called Mama Nitz. I became familiar with the medal because of her, as well as with the Holy Name of Jesus stampita.

Now, I wear the St. Benedict Medal not only as a faithful Catholic, but also because I am an Oblate novice of the Order of St. Benedict. I thank God for the grace of placing me where I am today.

It is not advisable to become overly focused on exorcists or exorcism. Too much or excessive focus on anything is not good. But as Catholics, we should be knowledgeable and vigilant.

Shown here are my collection of books by foreign and local exorcists, whom I admire for their faith, calling, and bravery in fighting evil in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

For Filipino readers and those who are just starting to learn about spiritual warfare, I recommend Fr. Jose Syquia's three-part series, as well as the local book The Exorcist Files, which contains compiled stories of exorcist priests in the Philippines. This is different from Fr. Carlos Martins' book, which was released in 2023.

I also suggest having a Catholic handbook of deliverance prayers by Fr. Jose Syquia, as well as the one by Fr. Chad Ripperger. For a more in-depth and educational formal work—one that is quite heavy because it also involves psychology—I recommend Fr. Chad Ripperger's Dominion.

You should also have in your collection the books of the late Fr. Gabriele Amorth. You may also try reading the popular podcaster Fr. Carlos Martins' book, The Exorcist Files, as well as Msgr. Stephen Rossetti's Diary of an American Exorcist.

Our world is in chaos now, and all the more we should pray for our priests who are engaged in spiritual warfare. As the Bible says in Ephesians 6:12, our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the powers and rulers of the darkness of this world.

As we live our lives here on earth, knowing that our time here is short and that we are merely pilgrims passing through, we must choose which side we are on: good or evil, light or darkness.

As for me, I choose the light of Christ.

No comments: